With extreme temperatures settling in on the area, Floyd County Emergency Management along with the Rome-Floyd Parks and Recreation Authority announce daytime cooling facilities open for those who need relief from the heat.
The following sites will be available on Monday – Friday, from Tuesday June 16, 2015 through August 30, 2015:
- Thornton Center 102 North Floyd Park Rd., 8 a. m. – 11 a.m.; 4:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Etowah Senior Center 1325 Kingston Hwy, 8:30 a. m. – 8 p.m.
- Anthony Rec Center 2901 Garden Lakes, 7 a.m.– 6 p.m.
- Riverside Senior Center 406 Riverside Pkwy, 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Fielder Center 1500 Crane St., 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Gilbreath Center 106 Garden Ave closed till June 24th due to filming
The National Weather Service predicts high temperatures to stay in the 90s all week, with a peak of 97 on Thursday.
If you are going to be outside, wear loose, light-colored clothing, stay hydrated and seek shade often. Also, don’t forget about those outside pets – they need water and shade too!